Guest LayerCube

What Virus scanner do you use?

50 posts in this topic

I have been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for a year now on windows 7. It is expensive for a year subscription, but it gets the job done. Doesn't consume much resources and does real time monitoring along with checking my emails and downloads.

I have used the free antivirous programs such as avg and avast. I am happy with my switch and would be willing to pay again. No ad pop ups is a plus.

Safe browsing, no issues for years. I made the switch to FF with adblock+ and script blocker about a year ago as more and more sites were using intrusive ads. still no issues.

Most Anti-Virus programs are more intrusive then Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at a bar mitzvah. Not worth the hassle when my uses put me at little risk. I do get why some people want the peace of mind however.

Hey everyone,

I'm curious what Virus scanner everyone is running on their laptops and computers?

i use avast, i have used kaspersky but to be honest its a pain removing it from ur computer, it always forgets to uninstall folders and parts of the program, i dont really like kaspersky anymore. But ones that are really excelent are avira antivirus, microsoft security essentials. All of those are very useful, and they are free :) and for malware protection i would recommend malwarebytes.

I have been using McAfee beta program for several years now.

Worked great so far.

You can sign up at beta.mcafee.com and get the next full security center.

I have used Kaspersky for some time now and will most likely keep using it. Any laptop or spare PC I have though I tend to use a free alternative.

I work for a local computer company and I repair computers..

NoD32 as it does have high reviews isn't as it's advertised to be.. it's a mid level virus scanner. it unlocks a lot of the viruses but doesn't detect them. This is when you get a free antivirus like AVG that catches all of the things left behind if you so chose to go that route..

What we use is AVG and Malwarebytes as a duo because when Malwarebytes scans first it unlocks a lot of files when it scans so when avg scans right after it it catches more..

DO NOT USE NORTON I SWER TO BABYJESUSANDALLTHATISHOLY! omg.. can't stress this enough.. any antivirus that leaves 25k imbeded files in the regestry after removal is a virus in it's self. Also any antivirus that takes known programs and flags them as dangerous or a virus.. is a virus... When norton blocks all communication out to the world because it thinks it's a dangerous place... is a virus... We remove McAfee and Norton because of this.. McAfee isn't so bad, but it's bad enough.. They are the best for business side and server scans and protection.. but for personal use McAfee is just as bad as Norton...

Avira even if you trust it, is a virus... if you have that, remove it and go with something else... AVG preferably.. I'm not paid by AVG I just go by experience and years in this business.

Panda, NoD32, McAfee and Norton are all virus unlockers.. Which is good for a free program to come through and pick it up.. Take that into thought. I can guarentee you Mike that if you scaned with AVG after your NoD32 scan AVG will fine legit viruses and things that NoD left behind.. :3 and it's free.

Free of course.

Either Avira or Avast. Proven to be very effective.

Antiviruses I wouldn't recommend anyone: Norton and AVG.

I use Avast, Avira, AVG, and Marlwarebytes.

Killer free combination of programs. No way a virus can get me now lol.

I use Avast, Avira, AVG, and Marlwarebytes.

Killer free combination of programs. No way a virus can get me now lol.

It's not too hard to make a virus FUD (100% undetected). So it doesn't really matter how many AVs you got installed, you're never safe :D