Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest tyrfryer

The noobiest of all noobs

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I'm a 39 year old car guy. I recently found a love for a popular online car game, but doubt the game will be around longer than another year or two. Added to this, there are many features I would like to see added to the game, as well as many I would like to see deleted. So, what I need is the game I love, but better and with much more longevity.

In my infinite wisdom (seriously, infinite. trust me), I came to the conclusion that the reason the game isn't optimal for me and many like me is that it's not designed by real car guys (and gals) FOR real gearheads. I, and a few of my friends from that gaming community are now interested in starting our own game. Designing it and hopefully someday releasing it as a free to play with paid options.

Our biggest obstacle is we're not at all conversant in programming, to say nothing of management and administration, let alone hosting, of a large multi player game.

All this is said to ask simply, what do I not know? Because I really dont know anything about creating any game, putting it online and allowing (hopefully) thousands or even millions of people to play it, I would like to start by asking the experts here to provide me with direction. Anyone who could help to fill me in on what I dont know yet would be appreciated beyond belief. I'm planning to delve into c++ programming as a start, and believe I'll need to look at 3D modeling too. Beyond that, I'm blank. Thank you to anyone brave or crazy enough to try to point me in the right directions to gain the kowledge I need to bring this idea to fruition in the years to come.

I know touches of programming here and there, but nothing close to enough to make a game.

Before you invest any money/time into this, you should come up with a business model of some kind, especially if you want to have paid options.

Now, are you talking about making a browser game? Or a game you download and install? Multiplayer? Singleplayer? You said hosting, so that could mean it's a browser game, or it could be a download to play sort of game with multiplayer.

If it's a browser game, don't use C++, because then only players who use internet explorer can play. A good bet for a browser game would be flash, or java.

If you want to do multiplayer, I would suggest creating a mod for Source SDK. You can get the SDK for free if you own any valve games (like the Orange box) etc. They provide lots of tools for you to create a game using source engine, and source assets (models etc). AND you could use Valve's SRCDS server to run your game on a dedicated server for multiplayer. You can read more about it here --> https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

Administration/hosting will depend entirely on what type of game this is.

I'm curious, what is the name of the online car game you're playing now that got you hooked? What why do you think it will not last another one to two years?

"If it's a browser game, don't use C++, because then only players who use internet explorer can play. A good bet for a browser game would be flash, or java."

C++ is not a microsoft only language. You could probably use vector graphics but it's time consuming.

A better option would be to use Garrys Mod to make a gamemode. Gamemode's are created using LUA and LUA is perported to be the easiest programming language to learn (it doesnt require compiling). You can find information on Garrys mod Gamemode programming at the wiki archive at http://maurits.tv/da.../index4875.html

If you do intend to make a source modification, be ready for a loooong process. I'm a member of a mod team that's working on a mature (already released) source modification and there are 2 developers, but despite that; its taking a looong time for updates to be released because they both have full time jobs despite them working on the mod for at least 10 hours a week. Mod is called "Modular Combat Source" if you're curios to know the name (http://www.moddb.com.../modular-combat)

If you do go the source modification route, it will likely be a minimum of 1 to 2 years before your mod is in a releasable state, possibly longer if you have to learn programming.

Programming requires lots of boolean algebra. Look it up online and see if you can understand it. Once you understand the underlying math, then the rest is easy. If you can't understand the math, then you're screwed.

Edited by PAL-18

Programming requires lots of boolean algebra. Look it up online and see if you can understand it. Once you understand the underlying math, then the rest is easy. If you can't understand the math, then you're screwed.

Progamming requires quality education and years of practice, not only mathematics (I am currently studying it, with additional math websites, but still I understand it is not enough). I would hire someone to create a game, happily there are many decent professionals today.

Good afternoon. I`ve read your topic and have a question. Do you want to have more time for your favorite games? I think you do. So, I want to tell you about one writing service that will make your life much easier. This is essayspirit.com. There you can receive a good essay for a short time. Vouch for quality.