Welcome to GSPtalk.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

What is GSPtalk.com?

We're a community based on discussing anything related to game, voice, or web servers.

Server providers, gaming communities, and regular gamers are all invited to hang out. Discuss! Debate! Learn from each other! Spread the love and get involved!

Photo

CoD4 laggs on 1gb vServer? How much ram is needed?

CoD4 Call of Duty Server VServer MW1 laggs Call of Duty 4 HELP ram 1 GB

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews
Hey,

I have rented a vServer to run a 10-slot cod4 server on it.
First i had 500 ram because i red this post: http://www.gsptalk.c...r-cod4-servers/
and some others which all said it won't use more then 500mb... But with 5 people on it it started to lagg...
With 750 mb almost the same and now with 1gb it still laggs with 6 or more players. Its not sooo laggy but... =/
The server says it uses 395mb, but why it still laggs?¿?
Is there something to improve the ram use of my server?

How mutch ram are you using for your server / ervers?

Hope you can help me,
Escasa

HostVenom

HostVenom

• Regular Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 reviews
It sounds like it isn't a Ram issue. Can you provide us some more information about your VPS and or the node it is hosted on?

Premium Dedicated Servers, Game Servers & Voice Servers

HostVenom LLC

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews

It sounds like it isn't a Ram issue. Can you provide us some more information about your VPS and or the node it is hosted on?

The server is host at http://www.zap-hosting.de/
They aren't the cheapest but you get some support too ;)

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
So did you ask support then why you were lagging?
It looks like their Windows VPS provide you with 1 cpu core (or two if you pay extra). I'd guess its not dedicated though. This is not a ram issue either, its a cpu issue.

If it's only during map loads, I'd say it's an I/O problem.

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews

So did you ask support then why you were lagging?
It looks like their Windows VPS provide you with 1 cpu core (or two if you pay extra). I'd guess its not dedicated though. This is not a ram issue either, its a cpu issue.

If it's only during map loads, I'd say it's an I/O problem.

Ok, thank you.
Yes, i asked them when i had 500 mb, they said it isn't enough ram. Ok so you say it's the cpu? I rented it with this settings (just 1gb ram): http://zap-hosting.c...ver-mieten.html
So i can't do anything to fix it?
MFG Escasa

Monk

Monk

• Regular Users
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • Location0xffffffff
VM's are bad for hosting games. Why? Clock ticks that the container request are emulated from the host node CPU. A container runs in usermode on the host node, which gives it very bad latency when it does syscalls.

This has nothing to do with memory unless vmstat shows page faults (a LOT of them).
leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~gary
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Smoothie_Productions
Old school..

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ

VM's are bad for hosting games. Why? Clock ticks that the container request are emulated from the host node CPU. A container runs in usermode on the host node, which gives it very bad latency when it does syscalls.

This has nothing to do with memory unless vmstat shows page faults (a LOT of them).

Your right, container based VPS (like virtuozzo, and OpenVZ) are terrible for gaming. I would assume the VPS he has is using a container based setup. If it were a Xen or KVM vps, it would still perform somewhat poorly, but it would be playable, and much better than a shared OpenVZ or Virtuozzo server. Even if they limit CPU priorities, one customer can still screw the whole node over if they decide to use 150% of cpu. In Xen and KVM each customer is limited, and this wouldn't happen.

That said, their Windows VPS may be the best option, as Windows cannot run in a container based virtualization system and requires fully virtualized hardware that Xen, KVM and a few others offer.

The only game that might be remotely playable in an container based environment is minecraft, and possible a few others. Not to say it wouldn't run at a preferred performance, but it would still be playable.

One question though, why not just read a COD4 server somewhere? I'm sure someone still hosts it, and it would run better and be cheaper than a VPS.

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews

Your right, container based VPS (like virtuozzo, and OpenVZ) are terrible for gaming. I would assume the VPS he has is using a container based setup. If it were a Xen or KVM vps, it would still perform somewhat poorly, but it would be playable, and much better than a shared OpenVZ or Virtuozzo server. Even if they limit CPU priorities, one customer can still screw the whole node over if they decide to use 150% of cpu. In Xen and KVM each customer is limited, and this wouldn't happen.

That said, their Windows VPS may be the best option, as Windows cannot run in a container based virtualization system and requires fully virtualized hardware that Xen, KVM and a few others offer.

The only game that might be remotely playable in an container based environment is minecraft, and possible a few others. Not to say it wouldn't run at a preferred performance, but it would still be playable.

One question though, why not just read a COD4 server somewhere? I'm sure someone still hosts it, and it would run better and be cheaper than a VPS.

Uhhh... so more ram won't fix it?!
But it says it uses only 1,6% of the cpu and 35% of ram (from 1gb)...
Ok, so the system software is the fault? It uses too mutch surces?
Where you recommend me to host a cod4 server?
Can i use all my files i use now there to (download and upload them with ftp)?

Hope you can help me again,
Escasa

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
Why are you using a VPS though? Why get JUST a COD4 server?

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews

Why are you using a VPS though? Why get JUST a COD4 server?

Because i want to run it an a vServer to have full options and not just a normal gameserver...

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews
And an other question:
So a windows server is better vor CoD4 than a linux server?

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
Considering your probably on an OpenVZ VPS, a Windows server would give you better performance (not because its windows, but because its not using OpenVZ)

What exactly are you doing on the server anyway? Most providers let you customize your game server the way you like, and even allow mods and plugins. I don't see how a giant performance hit justifies having a little more control.

HostVenom

HostVenom

• Regular Users
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 0 reviews

Considering your probably on an OpenVZ VPS, a Windows server would give you better performance (not because its windows, but because its not using OpenVZ)

He could always look for a Xen VPS, but it will end up costing more.

Premium Dedicated Servers, Game Servers & Voice Servers

HostVenom LLC

Escasa

Escasa

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • 0 reviews

What exactly are you doing on the server anyway?

Eh... i want a cod4 server without laggs...
And zap-hosting where i rented the server allow full acces with putty or other things, but i installed the game with there feture where you just have to chose the game and it will install itself on the server so i don't can do mistakes while i install the game... is this what can cause the lagg?
Because i only want a 10 slot server with full acces i root server would be mutch to expensive, but i am searching for someone who probably want to rent a server WITH me or i could pay him for hosting my server on the rootserver?!

MFG Escasa

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ

Eh... i want a cod4 server without laggs...
And zap-hosting where i rented the server allow full acces with putty or other things, but i installed the game with there feture where you just have to chose the game and it will install itself on the server so i don't can do mistakes while i install the game... is this what can cause the lagg?
Because i only want a 10 slot server with full acces i root server would be mutch to expensive, but i am searching for someone who probably want to rent a server WITH me or i could pay him for hosting my server on the rootserver?!

MFG Escasa

Why do you need SSH access, or Root access? If your using mods you can have your host install those for you if you just rent the server.

Either way you install it, if its hosted on a container based VPS platform it will lag. Get a Xen/KVM server.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CoD4, Call of Duty, Server, VServer, MW1, laggs, Call of Duty 4, HELP, ram, 1 GB