Welcome to GSPtalk.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

What is GSPtalk.com?

We're a community based on discussing anything related to game, voice, or web servers.

Server providers, gaming communities, and regular gamers are all invited to hang out. Discuss! Debate! Learn from each other! Spread the love and get involved!

Photo

Server hardware recommendation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina
Hi, I own a community for a couple of years now and I'm trying to expand a little bit.

We're currently hosting 9 counter-strike servers on a Athlon II x4 645, and to be honest, it's not working really well. Specially since the servers are full 24/7.

Please recommend some server specs for 15~ counter-strike 1.6 servers (approx. 200 slots). And keep in mind that they will be full 24/7.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RaMMz, July 28, 2012 - 03:00 PM.

Artur

Artur

• Regular Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationCanada

Hi, I own a community for a couple of years now and I'm trying to expand a little bit.

We're currently hosting 9 counter-strike servers on a Athlon II x4 645, and to be honest, it's not working really well. Specially since the servers are full 24/7.

Please recommend some server specs for 15~ counter-strike 1.6 servers (approx. 200 slots). And keep in mind that they will be full 24/7.

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to host around 250 to 300 slots at once on the following server:
  • Intel Xeon E3-1270 Processor
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1000 GB Disk Space
  • 5000 GB Bandwidth
Good luck!

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ

You should be able to host around 250 to 300 slots at once on the following server:

• Intel Xeon E3-1270 Processor
  • 16 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1000 GB Disk Space
  • 5000 GB Bandwidth
Good luck!

The E3-1270 will do nicely, but even an E3-1230 would do fine as this is only CS 1.6. If it were a newer game perhaps the 1270 would be needed.

However.. 1000GB disk space? Why? CS 1.6 is tiny, even with lots o' maps. I'd say a 250gb or higher would be plenty of space as most maps won't go above 50mb if custom maps are being used.

Also 16 gb of RAM? Also why? Typical CS 1.6 server uses 200mb of ram, if that. Even if we make a conservative calculation say each used 400mb of RAM that's still only 6GB required for those 15 servers. And about 500mb-1GB for windows (or less for linux)

So I agree with DS-Minacov's suggestion, but unless your running high memory games (like Minecraft) you can save some money and stick with 8GB of memory. Also most providers give you a 250gb drive or higher, which should be plenty of hard drive space, although having a backup secondary drive can be handy :D

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina
I'm currently renting co-location, so I have to buy the hardware...

Could you recommend cheaper specs? It's a community that was running on a Athlon II x4 :)

Edited by RaMMz, July 29, 2012 - 06:29 PM.

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
If you need cheaper than an E3-1230 I'd recommend going the AMD desktop route. An AMD FX 8120 or 8150 8 core. Although building on desktop hardware has its drawbacks, but can be very cost effective for a small gaming community.

RAM for that setup would be very cheap, and if your going to colo, may as well throw in 12-16gb of RAM.Probably about $100 for 16GB of RAM.

XSH-Alex

XSH-Alex

• Regular Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • 0 reviews

Could you recommend cheaper specs?

What is your budget?
List your Game/Voice server company: GSPFinder.com
Review/List a server hosting company: TheServerReviews.com

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina

What is your budget?

Around $400. Consider I'm from Argentina and hardware costs a little more here.

Edited by RaMMz, July 29, 2012 - 09:00 PM.

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
That's a tight order. Do you colo now? Perhaps you could reuse a few parts?

XSH-Alex

XSH-Alex

• Regular Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • 0 reviews
$400 is really tight for a decent rig. Honestly if I were you I'd save up some more money, as anything that low isn't going to pay off in the long run.
List your Game/Voice server company: GSPFinder.com
Review/List a server hosting company: TheServerReviews.com

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina

That's a tight order. Do you colo now? Perhaps you could reuse a few parts?

Yes, I'm doing colo. The only parts that could be reused are the PSU, the HDD and the chassis.

$400 is really tight for a decent rig. Honestly if I were you I'd save up some more money, as anything that low isn't going to pay off in the long run.

I'll think about it. For the moment I'll be having 11~ servers (150~ slots) until I can upgrade the network link and I don't think that the Athlon will be able to hold them, thats why I was thinking in making the hardware upgrade now.

Edited by RaMMz, July 30, 2012 - 06:52 AM.

EVL--Ryan

EVL--Ryan

GSPtalk Moderator

• Moderators
  • 502 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationAZ
AMD FX-8120 8 core CPU $159

Asus M5A97 Motherboard $89
Corsair Vengence 4x 4GB kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B $89

Total $337, re-use chassis,
(prices from amazon.com)

Now from superbiiz I found proper parts.

Supermicro X9SCM $162.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Quad Core $219.99
Super Talent 4 GB Memory $25.99 x 2 (for 8GB) $51.98

Total $434.96 reuse powersupply, chassis and HDD.

So really you could get a good setup if you save up an extra $34
I don't know how much this would cost in Argentina. Superbiiz used to ship internationally but they only do that for business customers that have account managers.

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina

AMD FX-8120 8 core CPU $159

Asus M5A97 Motherboard $89
Corsair Vengence 4x 4GB kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B $89

Total $337, re-use chassis,
(prices from amazon.com)

Now from superbiiz I found proper parts.

Supermicro X9SCM $162.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Quad Core $219.99
Super Talent 4 GB Memory $25.99 x 2 (for 8GB) $51.98

Total $434.96 reuse powersupply, chassis and HDD.

So really you could get a good setup if you save up an extra $34
I don't know how much this would cost in Argentina. Superbiiz used to ship internationally but they only do that for business customers that have account managers.

Hmm, customs will hold an order like that, and in the worse scenario I'll have to pay 50% of the total order cost. Yes, Argentina sucks.

Supermicro MBs are not available in Argentina, you can find only 3 on the most used buy&sell site and they're overpriced.

To check Argentina's prices you can use www.mercadolibre.com.ar, all of them are in ARS so USD price will be ARS / 4,6.

An AMD FX-8120 is priced around ARS1200 (USD 260).
An Intel Xeon E3-1235 is priced around ARS1610 (USD 350).

HogWildMark

HogWildMark

• Regular Users
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationCanada

Hmm, customs will hold an order like that, and in the worse scenario I'll have to pay 50% of the total order cost. Yes, Argentina sucks.

Supermicro MBs are not available in Argentina, you can find only 3 on the most used buy&sell site and they're overpriced.

To check Argentina's prices you can use www.mercadolibre.com.ar, all of them are in ARS so USD price will be ARS / 4,6.

An AMD FX-8120 is priced around ARS1200 (USD 260).
An Intel Xeon E3-1235 is priced around ARS1610 (USD 350).

Interesting that Customs in Argentina are so strict. I work for UPS Canada in the Customs Brokerage Department when not on my laptop running HogWildHost and have yet to see Canada Customs actually stop a computer related shipment. Just goes to say how different Customs are globally.
Mark LaViolette
Forums@MarkLaViolette.com
Social Networks: Twitter / Facebook

RaMMz

RaMMz

• Regular Users
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 0 reviews
  • LocationArgentina

Interesting that Customs in Argentina are so strict. I work for UPS Canada in the Customs Brokerage Department when not on my laptop running HogWildHost and have yet to see Canada Customs actually stop a computer related shipment. Just goes to say how different Customs are globally.

You can't compare a real country with Argentina.