Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest DS-Minacov

L5420 or E3-1240

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering what would you recommend: L5420 Processor or a E3-1240 Processor?

We all know that L5420 is 12M Cache and it is Harpertown.

On the other side we have E3-1240, which is 8M Cache, and it is a Sandy Bridge.

My question would be: Which one of those do you recommend the most for game hosting?

I have my own point of view, but I would like to hear yours.

Thank you!

I love the E3 Series and have no regrets on going that route.

# of Threads 8

Clock Speed 3.3 GHz

It depends on the game.

Dual L5420 for example can have more ram and for less, you can also have 2 cpus per machine, this may have lower costs in certain situations and would be better for minecraft for example.

E3-1240 has more vertical power, its better for games such as ARMA II or Battlefield and more than 16 gigs ram costs a lot if you want a server class motherboard.

We use E3-1270 and E3-1280s on our servers and they are great, but you should evaluate your needs as Eoin said.

I would pick the E3-1270 any day of the week.

You have both Hyperthreading and Turbo Boost (up to 3.8hz)

Dual L5420 are power hogs, no Hyperthreading and a fairly low clock frequency.

Thanks Daniel, for your feedback.

I would agree with the other posts, definitely an E3-1240 over the L5420. You get hyper threading, and a much better clock speed. The E3-1230 has a 3.30GHz clock speed and 3.7GHz turbo boost while the L5420 has a 2.50GHz clock speed. The only thing about the L5420 is that they are pretty cheap from dedicated server providers, since they are older. However, you can find some pretty good deals, if you look around on the E3.

I would agree with the other posts, definitely an E3-1240 over the L5420. You get hyper threading, and a much better clock speed. The E3-1230 has a 3.30GHz clock speed and 3.7GHz turbo boost while the L5420 has a 2.50GHz clock speed. The only thing about the L5420 is that they are pretty cheap from dedicated server providers, since they are older. However, you can find some pretty good deals, if you look around on the E3.

Yep. I have 2 E3-1240 with 16GB RAM for $140.00 USD / Mo Each

Since when does the frequency matter anymore ?

and the L5420 is not a power hog, it has a TDP of 50 watts, on top of that as you can have two of them, they do better for io bound applications.

and Hyperthreading is only important if you have tons of processes per machine leading to scheduling issues.

But beside this, a single E3-1230 is 'slightly' faster (10%) than dual L5420

Yep. I have 2 E3-1240 with 16GB RAM for $140.00 USD / Mo Each

Where did you get the server from? I have 2 E3-1270s from Secured Servers for around that price. Pretty good deal, however I am looking to expand to a new location. So if you got it somewhere else, where did you get it from?

Where did you get the server from? I have 2 E3-1270s from Secured Servers for around that price. Pretty good deal, however I am looking to expand to a new location. So if you got it somewhere else, where did you get it from?

Colo Crossing.

The 1270's are nice! Do you guys run the Ivy's' or the Sandy's?

Well I have a SuperMicro Dual L5420 Server right now that I've been thinking about upgrading. The server board supports up to an Intel Xeon X5460 and I was thinking about upgrading to those. Yes they're more power intensive, but I've been looking at it cost effective and with my server and the agreement with my Data Center honestly it's cheaper for me to upgrade the Processors than Switch out the Server Board, Processor, and Ram. Thoughts?

To update my last post: We've upgraded from the E3 family to the E5 family and everything is still working fantastically. Anyone would be smart to use Ivy or Sandy processors.

Edited by XSH-Alex

E3 server are better for sure,

L5420 is old, you can order it with lots of provider with nice discount, because they have overstock.

yah E3s are great for resource hog games like Minecraft and ARMA. a single L5420 is never worth it but a dual L5420 is usually worth the nice discount. 

Well, We're using E3-1230 for most of our projects here. We also own and colocating couple of L5420 but Always prefer and suggest E3 Series. One thing to care about is that Hyperthreadening is available with the E3 but not with the L5420!